- Human prescription meds – includes things like anti-depressants, blood pressure and heart meds
- Human non-prescription meds – like anti-inflammatory meds (Tylenol, Aleve, Advil)
- Pesticides – like warfarin, coumarin, Vitamin D
- Preservative packets – silica and food oxidization preventives
- Hydrocarbons/Petroleum products
- Xylitol – found in chewing gum, candies, baked goods
- Plants – lilies, bulbs, sago palms, lily of the valley
- Insecticides – pyrethrins, pyrethroids – cats are particularly sensitive to these
- Chocolate – powdered cocoa, baking chocolate, bars
If you believe your pet has ingested or been exposed to these things, time can be very important. Treatment, and urgency of treatment, can vary hugely with different toxicants. We will need to know the exact name of the product, the strength, the size of the package, and the amount your pet could have consumed. The UPC code on the package can be very useful. We will need to know how long ago your pet might first have been exposed, and what signs they are already showing.
Prevention is the best approach-be aware of what is around your home
- Ensure medication is always kept inaccessible (sometimes a closed purse is just a challenge!), and that you always have some idea of how much of your prescription is remaining in the bottle
- Make sure raisins and chocolate products are kept on top shelves behind a closed pantry door
- Be certain you can name and define all your household plants as non-toxic.
- Cleaners, petroleum based products, pesticides, and insecticides should be stored safely out of reach
If you have any questions regarding risk, please contact us – we are happy to be a resource for you!